Blending the comfort of a beautiful home with the benefits of leasing instead of buying, Avilla Homes reduce the stress of our residents. Contemporary American life can be stressful, though, even when your goal is a full, enjoyable existence. Yoga as a practice can strengthen your body and mind. It also helps build physical endurance and mental resilience. Yoga has been practiced all over the world for thousands of years, and there are more than 100 types, or schools, of yoga.
Whether you are interested in learning yoga at home, at a community center, or at a high-end yoga studio, here are some benefits you can expect to experience – if you commit to a regular yoga routine.
Mental And Physical Benefits Of Yoga
- Improves both strength and flexibility. Many people understand that yoga positions, or asanas, help develop greater flexibility. An additional benefit of doing yoga is increased muscular strength. You may start out unable to even touch your toes, but because the poses teach both strength and flexibility, little by little, you will find yourself being able to maintain positions you thought were impossible just a few months earlier.
- Improves posture. This physical benefit may be as important as the improvements in strength and flexibility. Many yoga exercises focus on keeping your head in balance over your neck, shoulders, and spine. This reduces muscle fatigue and prevents joint pain, as well as helping avoid long-term health challenges like degenerative disc disease.
- Strengthens your bones. Because many poses require you to bear your own body weight, yoga can help increase bone density. Yoga also lowers the level of the stress hormone cortisol, which helps bones retain more calcium.
- Helps you focus and stay grounded in the present. A major component of most schools of yoga is understanding how to breathe properly during the poses. This focus on the breath shifts your body out of fight-or-flight mode and into a calmer, more restful state.
- Reduces anxiety and induces the “relaxation response.” Both the focus on maintaining an aligned posture during a yoga pose and the focus on breathing that supports the pose helps lower physical and mental arousal. The result is that your body drops into a deeply relaxed state and your mind, at least temporarily, stops spinning fruitlessly.
There are many great methods of learning yoga, from books to YouTube videos to live classes. Once you’re acquainted with the benefits of yoga, you may even want to start a yoga group in your Avilla Homes community!